Motherhood may have given us gray hairs, wrinkles, loose skin, stretch marks, and a lot of other physical side effects that we might not want (ha), BUT I know its given me SO much as a person to be thankful for. I’ve grown leaps and bounds as a human being, and I’ve no doubt become a better person because of my 3 little guys. In honor of Mothers Day next week, I’m highlighting how motherhood has changed me:
Showed me the purest form of love: They always say you never know love until you have a baby. Having kids is like having a piece of your heart walking outside of your body. It actually aches when they’re hurt, when you miss them, when they’re going through hard times…its an incredible feeling that you would literally do anything and everything for their well being and happiness.
It’s slowed me down: Gone are the days that I need to be on the go …going somewhere, doing something, being busy, never home. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but there’s something to be said about actually soaking life up and slowing down. I actually LIKE staying home or doing simple things like playing outside with the kids, long walks in the neighborhood, playground days, and trips to the library. Call me boring, but I’m cool with it. Seeing life through their eyes is the best feeling ever…how they learn, grow and experience new things is amazing.
I’ve become more easy going: Ok, anyone that knows me knows I am superrrr Type A. I’m all about schedules, routine, and things being perfect, and I’m UBER competitive. Well, if you’re a mom you know that living up to this is pretty much impossible if you want to maintain your sanity! It probably took me up until having 3 kids to really just embrace this, truthfully. But, proudly, I’ve learned to roll with the punches, missed naps, tantrums. crying, messy clothes & house, and tough days. Yeah, sure does it bother me sometimes? Of course. Am I still a little uptight? yes. But I am able to take a deep breath and just go with the flow ((most of the time)).
I’m more patient: Patience. One of the most coveted virtues there is. Becoming a parent MAKES you more patient whether you want to be or not. Dealing with babies crying for hours (my first), epic toddler tantrums (my second), or dealing with no sleep with your third baby and having 2 others to look after…yup. Patience is earned, and you don’t have a choice.
I don’t take things for granted as much: Little things used to bother me so much…work life, social things, etc. Now…if something happens I know that all is good because at the end of the day as long as our family is healthy we are ALL GOOD. That’s not to say I don’t get fired up every now and again (ha) but I definitely am able to take a deep breath and take things in stride A LOT better now. I don’t take a single day that our boys are healthy for granted and now thats what really matters.
I’m more focused and efficient: Time is your biggest enemy when you become a mother. It goes by so dang quick. Your time with them, and your time away from them. I’ve found I’ve become so much more efficient with my time now that I have kids because I want to make it count if I’m away from them. If I’m working out, its going to be a killer workout. If I’m at work or at an event, I’m going to make it worthwhile because I know what I’m giving up to be there! Time=the most precious thing in life!
So, Motherhood. Probably the most challenging, yet rewarding thing in life you’ll ever do. I know that I no doubt appreciate my mom more now that I’m a mother myself. Truth be told, there’s no way you can ever repay your mother for their sacrifice, life and commitment to you…but we sure as heck can try!
I wanted to share a few of my favorite mothers day picks for your mother, MIL, grandma, etc.
1.Dyson V8- This thing is a game changer. I know it seems like a lame gift, but this guy cleans sooo fast and when you clean faster, it means more time to do other things! WINNING.
2. Dyson Blowdryer- you guys know I’ve pledged my love for this blowdryer. Another time saver, makes your hair so soft, and is just all around amazing quality. An amazing gift to give.
3. Apple Watch-Another one of my go-tos gifts
4. Airpods- These are so good for everything- exercising, listening to podcasts, talking hands free. Great gift.
5. This crockpot is hands down the best crockpot I have ever used. the food cooks great and the food NEVER sticks to the actual dish. I can’t say enough about it. I know its pricy but the quality is amazing and the food turns out great-so much better.
6. This air fryer is a great gift. I swear I’ll never cook fries in a oven again. The air fryer takes away all the grease and makes them nice and crispy. There’s so many great recipes also to put in a air fryer.
7. Bath bombs make a great gift!
8. I have a kitchen aid mixer and although I’ve never used it (haha, I never bake) its supposedly one of the best. My mom LOVES hers.
9. If your mama or MIL is into scrapbooking, snag her a cricut! This is the best way to scrapbook!
10. You can never go wrong with a new pair of slippers. I love these.
12. Real Simple is a great mag to send to Mom!
13. The Vitamix is a top blender and allows you to make shakes, soups, etc.
14. My mom has a roomba and loves it! Another gift to make her life easier.
15. My holy grail product- Dr. Brandt baggage no more. TRUST ME this stuff is legit.
16. I haven’t tried Drunk Elephant but I have heard amazing things about their products. A mask would be an awesome gift idea!
17. The Clarisonic is a basic essential and makes a good present!
18. Tory Burch Miller Sandals. These can be dressed up or down and look good on a 20 year old, or a 75 year old! Iconic!
19. I love Birks more than anything in life and these are so comfy and GOOD for your feet. The gift that keeps on giving-great quality, last forever!
20. Last but not least…this is my FAVE Tula product. I swear by this and how it brightens your under eye area (hello, all moms need this!!). This is a great present for any mom, any age. If you don’t buy it for your mom, buy it for yourself!
Have a great Sunday!