Hey everyone.. hope you are all having a good start to the week! This past weekend Seb slept through the night 3 nights in a row which was #LIFEGOALS lets be honest...but now I am paying the price for it. I started to not feel well yesterday and I have a little case of mastisis from him changing up his nursing schedule and cutting that night feeding out. Chills, aches, and soooo much pain guys...ugh. I'm feeling better today though and hopefully by tomorrow I will get back to my normal schedule!
I wanted to hop on here and just give you guys a sneak peak on my nutrition. I always get questions on nutrition and what I eat. Before I got pregnant with Seb I was pretty strict with my diet but I was eating so CLEAN and felt SO good. When I was pregnant I continued eating healthy but I loosened up the reigns a little bit (hello, carbsssss).
After I had Seb, it was time to reset! A friend of ours sent us a meal delivery system called sunbasket as a gift after he was born. It honestly took me like 3 months to actually use it, haha, because, well, #postpartumlife. I coulden't get my head around actually reading new recipes being so sleep deprived ha ha...so I held off and kept making my old standard meals. I wish I hadn't! It was super easy to use- login, select your recipes and viola! Your box shows up at your house the following Monday including EVERY single ingredient that you need.
Reasons why I love Sunbasket:
1. VARIETY!! Anyone else feel like they make the same. dang. thing. every. night?! There are a number of different recipes (like 10!) that you can choose from which keeps your meals fresh and exciting!
2. HEALTHY: The meals are legit healthy. All meals have organic food, non GMO food (including meat, if you're not a veggie. and if you're a veggie, they have those meals also) and are pretty clean. They state the macros on the recipe page in your booklet so you know the nutrition as well which I love!
3. EASY: I would say that I am an average cook. I'm not great, but not bad. SO. That being said, These recipes are super easy to follow. My only gripe is there isn't a step by step photo while you're actually making the meal.
4. FAST: Most meals you can make it 20-30 minutes!
5. PORTION CONTROL: I always find when I make my own meals I make way too much and sometimes I overeat just "cause its there". The portion sizes 99% of the time have been SPOT ON and trust me...we eat a good amount due to our activity level! They are filling!
6. KID FRIENDLY: There are definitely options that kids would like! Our boys love the pasta meals, and anything chicken/fish!
7. CUSTOMER SERVICE: Is fantastic. In the last year I've rarely had any issues with my deliveries, and the one time I did, they credited me the whole meal for missing one herb!
To be noted, I used the ever popular Hello Fresh and I had THREE deliveries that came with damaged meat within 2 month s(as in: blood all over everything because beef package had been smashed open)...and I reached out to them via social media and ...no response. Needless to say, I stopped using them.
8. Grocery shopping/meal planning is SO much faster: My grocery shopping takes half the time now because I'm only shopping for 3-4 meals vs 7! OR when you only buy 3-4 meals because you just dont have ideas of what to make and then you end up ordering out..yikes.
Other things to note:
COST! It breaks down to about $11 or 12/per person per meal (this all varies depending on how many meals you get, whether you do the family/meals for 2 plan).
I actually went to the grocery store and "bought" everything that I would need for a recipe and the total cost was $20.50. So, basically it was $3-4 more for a sunbasket meal. Keep in mind that some of the items Wegmans only had conventional (everything from sunbasket is organic) so it may be closer to $21 or $22. For me, it makes cooking FUN again and I get excited to make something new thats guaranteed going to be good. Don't know about you guys, but I've had some pretty bad pinterest FAILS. lol. So..its worth the extra few dollars IMO.
-It is a subscription, so you get meals every week unless you "skip" or cancel. Skipping is super easy and I have done that because we have been out of town, or I didn't particularly want what choices they provided (that has happened like..once.. haha.)
-They have vegetarian and paleo meals
-You need to pick your meals the Wednesday prior to delivery (they send an email to remind you..I usually just do about 3 weeks in advance)
More on my nutrition...
Seb is still nursing at the moment so I haven't gotten too strict with diet. Part of me can't wait to just get after it and go hard core...but the other side of me is holding on to my baby as long as I can and letting him run his course with nursing!
Anyway, the awesome thing with sunbasket is that when I start to macro count to drop those last few pounds (when he's done nursing) I am still going to be able to eat great foods. It is perfect for people who are looking to get leaner, and is also good for people signing up for other reasons: conveinince, variety, etc. Basically what I'm saying is that its pretty healthy (and fresh) food without seeming too healthy!!
I hope this gives you all some insight on meal delivery systems (and in particular Sunbasket!) Any questions let me know :)
Have a great day everyone! xo